Previous chapter - Full list of chapters - Liste over kapitler på norsk - Next chapter
«HISTORY OF EMIGRATION FROM NORDMØRE - Stangvik and Surnadal parishes»
* For disclaimer, please see end of text.
ABSTRACTS OF EMIGRATION RECORDS IN TRONDHEIM, KRISTIANSUND, ÅLESUND AND BERGEN
The lists are based on the following sources:
- Geographic abstracts for the Stangvik and Surnadal parishes from Trondheim records carried out by the staff at the National Archives in Trondheim.
- Abstracts from Kristiansund records for Stangvik and Surnadal carried out by the undersigned in January ’84, transcribed from the originals at the National Archive in Trondheim.
- Alphabetized lists, typed from Ålesund records by personnel at the National Archive in Trondheim, loaned to the undersigned for inspection and transcription.
- Computer printouts from Bergen records, selections for Møre and Romsdal, inspected and transcribed by the undersigned.
The undersigned has examined the originals for Trondheim and added items omitted in the geographic lists sent therefrom upon request.
Possible sources of error:
In the process of selecting emigrants from the original records conducted by the staff at the National Archives, a major danger lies in the fact that the staff is not familiar with local farm names. In the local dialects, Surnadal is pronounced almost like Sunndal and one must be conversant with these names.
(The office worker who originally listed the emigrants in the records may have written Sunndal instead of Surnadal.)
In addition, there were people from Surnadal and Stangvik who may have worked in other parishes and emigrated from there. Those from rural districts generally provided a farm name as a place of origin, while those assimilated in one of the towns gave only a patrimonial –sen name.
These sources of error primarily concern items 1/3/4.
The source of error for item 2 is that this work was carried out under great haste. Names may have been overlooked. One must take this human weakness into consideration for all four sources, thus there really should be a proofreading of the transcription stage, something next to impossible.
I thank the Surnadal cultural board for being able to carry on the transcription efforts during my working period, and thank Lisbet Bævre for being able to comprehend my notes and for a fine job of typing!
20 February 1984
Dordi Glærum Skuggevik
For tables with abstracts of the emigration records, please see the Norwegian version of this article. Translation of table headings:
- År/j.nr. = year and journal number
- Dato = date
- S.s = personal status (g. = married, ug. = unmarried, b. = child, e/enke = widowed
- Yrke/navn = occupation and name
- Alder = age
- Båt/reisemål = ship and destination
- Fødested = place of birth
- Bosted = place of living
- Andre opplysninger = other information
Previous chapter - Next chapter
If you would like to write about 'what happened next' to the individuals or familes mentioned in the text of this book - or if you have additional information - why not register as a user and create your own saga-chapters / articles. If you would like us to add a link from somewhere in the text to your own articles then you can contact us here.
A few copies of the book (in Norwegian) are still available for sale - see link to www.bokloftet.com under 'external links' below for further details.
* Copyright Dordi Glærum Skuggevik 1986 - ISBN 02-991394-0-6. Please note: The original text and photo captions in Norwegian – and any digitisation and translation thereof - contain information from public, private and personal sources and may contain unintended errors, inaccuracies or omissions. The author - and as applicable: the digitiser and translator - accepts no liability for any such errors, inaccuracies or omissions. To continue, the reader must accept all limitations of liability and the text ‘as is’ - or should refrain from further reading.
The above content is from the book "Utvandringshistorie fra Nordmøre - Stangvik og Surnadal Prestegjeld" (History of emigration from Nordmøre – Stangvik and Surnadal Parish (Norway)) - published in 1986 by Dordi Glærum Skuggevik - and is used by the author's kind permission. All photos are used by the owners' kind permission.
The English text - except for part VII and photo captions - is a private translation from Norwegian by Sjur Sivertson, used with his kind permission (copyright Sjur Sivertson).