In 1947, Hans Hyldbakk published the history of the local farms in Surnadal, Nordmøre, Norway. The book was updated in 1980. Below, you will find a non-professional translation of the text describing the Teigan farm of Sogge. The translation is inspired by Dordi Glærum Skuggevik's work in her book 'History of emigration from Nordmøre' from 1985.

'Gards- og ættesoge for Surnadal - Bind II' - author Hans Hyldbakk - copyright Surnadal kommune
Teigan - gårdsnummer 28 - bruksnummer 2 - the municipality of Surnadal, Norway - page 103

Coordinates: latitude 62.98423866 longitude 8.80484692 - interactive map reference is 1566-28/2
For copyright information and disclaimer, please see end of text

General comments about the Sogge group of farms
The name Sogge is pronounced Såjjin. The name is assumed to be based on the old Norwegian Sodgar, which is derived from the verb sjoda - meaning simmering or boiling - probably connected to the currents of the nearby river. Remains of old river banks can be found nearer the farms suggesting that the river once went closer to the hillside south of the farm, washing away most of the plateau upon which the houses at Børstua is now standing. Honnstadbekken (= creek) probably also played its part.

In the Catholic era, the farms at Sogge belonged to the archbishopric of Nidaros. After the Protestant Reformation in 1536, the king became the owner - and in 1667 Jacob at Hoem is listed as the landowner. From him the farm went to Markis Nissen - and thereafter to his son, the merchant Jakob Nissen Angell. In 1777, the three then tenant farmers at Sogge individually purchased their share of the land from the estate of Jakob's recently departed widow, Anne Elisabet Nissen.

It appears that Nikolai Nissen, Jacob's brother, was the landowner in 1703. The records for that year shows that he refused the Sogge tenant farmers the use of the watermill on the banks of Honnstadbekken. The watermill had been used by the people at Sogge since olden times.

As mentioned under Faksneset, there was an åstadssak (= legal case) between the farmers at Sogge and Ingebrigt Røv regarding a piece of pasture land which had belonged to Faksnes. The court case concerned a third of Faksneset which Lars Jonsson at Borstua had leased from Erik Audunson at Kvalvåg in 1645. Ingebrigt Røv lost the case and the farmers at Sogge were granted the right to use the land unconditionally for the future. Whether the matter went to a higher court is not known.

The Teigan farm
The buildings on this farm originally stood on the hill, just east of Borstua of Sogge. At what time they were moved to the current position is not known. Not even the elders of our community have any knowledge of this. It was probably the local lensmann (= sheriff) Råg Larsson who moved them when he built new buildings on the farm, around the turn of the previous century (1700/1800).

The first occupant that we know of on this farm was Asmund Jonson. He was born in 1595 and is listed as living here in 1645 using the name Asmund Sogge. He was living with his wife and their son Hallvard. The same man was still around in 1667.

Asmund Jonson had three sons that we know of:

  1. Tore b. 1631
  2. Jo b. 1633
  3. Anders b. 1641

One Hallvard, mentioned on the farm in 1645, was probably also one of Asmund's sons. In 1665, Tore Asmundson is the one running the farm. He is at that time said to be 24 years old - and based on that age he would have been born in 1741. However, in 1701 he is listed as a cotter on the property, now 70 years old - whilst his brother, Jo Asmundson, is listed as the one running the farm. Both these men are in the census records listed as sons of Amund, but there is hardly any doubt about the fact that Asmund is the correct name of their father.

Jo Asmundson had three children:

  1. Gurå b. 1680, d. 1754 (unmarried).
  2. Nils b. 1686, married to Gunnhild Olsdotter Fiske, Utistua.
  3. Brit b. 1688, d. 1757 (unmarried)

Nils Jonson was the farmer here after his father. He and Gunnhild Olsdotter had three children:

  1. Brit b. 1728, married 1759 to Rasmus Trondson Fiske from Krokvassdalen. Gunnhild, their daughter, was married at Sæterøya.
  2. Ingeborg b. 1729, married 1765 to Peder Sjurson Glæremsrønningen.
  3. Jo b. 1730, married 1770 to Gjertrud Olsdotter Svorken at Svorka. His descendants still live at the Svorka farm.

Gunnhild Olsdotter died in 1733 and Nils Jonson remarried and had two daughters:

  1. Maret b. 1736, married 1767 to Lars Nilsson Svean, Austistua.
  2. Gunnhild b. 1739, married 1767 to Sjur Jonson Gravvoll in Bøverdalen.

There are many descendants after these children, especially after Gunnhild.

When Nils Jonson died, his widow remarried Hallvard Olson from Alvstua of Fiskja, who got the Teigan leasehold around 1745. Around this time, Ola Hermundson Elshaug from Rindalen made a claim on the estate of Nils Jonson, but Hallvard refused to pay and the domsmenn (= judges) gave him right.

Hallvard Olson and his wife had a daughter:

  1. Rogjer b. 1742, married 1763 to Erik Endreson Telstad, Negard.

Hallvard Olson died in 1782. His son-in-law got the leasehold in 1764. 24 February 1777 he got the deed on the farm for 201 riksdaler - and thus became the first freeholder at Teigan farm.

Erik Endreson and Rogjer Hallvardsdotter had five children:

  1. Eli b. 1764, d. 1765.
  2. Brit b. 1766,
  3. Hallvard b. 1769, died unmarried at Vassenden 1812. Hallvard and Magdalena Hallvardsdotter Kvennbø had the daughter Maret, who was married 1825 to Erik Erikson Børset at Midtgardsgeilen of Krokvassdalen.
  4. Eli b. 1771, married 1812 to Lars Arntson Svean, Utistua, and remarried 1815 to corporal Peder Andersson Monset from Faksneset.
  5. Endre b. 1774, died unmarried at Bergheim in 1846.

Rogjer Hallvardsdotter died in 1775 and Erik Endreson remarried Mali Olsdotter Østbø from Østbøhaugen 5 June the following year. With her he had three daugthers:

  1. Rogjer b. 1778, married 1797 to Johannes Olson Bergheim, Oppistua. Remarried 1798 to Peder Rolvson Gulla at Oppistua of Bergheim.
  2. Mali b. 1781, married 1824 to Peder Rasmusson Hommelstad. They were cotters at Tuvteigen under Bergheim.
  3. Maret b. 1785, married 1815 to Isak Steinarson Ellevset from Ellevsetgeilen. They leased the cotter's holding Øyagjeret under Øyan.

Erik Endreson died in 1786 and his widow, Mali Olsdotter, remarried Tore Olson at Oppistua of Bergheim.

Thursday 15 March 1787, the farm was sold at auction. After the third call, Lars Larsson Honnstad got the highest bid of 370 riksdaler, on behalf of his brother Råg Larson Honnstad. As part of the sales bargain, the widow Mali Olsdotter was to keep 2 mål (= half an acre) of arable land, free firewood and feed for 2 cows and 4 sheep for as long as her children were minor. When they were grown, only feed for 1 cow. Whether the widow actually made use of this part of the bargain after she left for Bergheim - or if the new owner bought her out - is unclear.

Råg Larsson was born in 1760 at Utigard of Honnstad. In 1786 he was employed as lensmann (= sheriff) for Surnadal after his father Lars Pederson Honnstad or Mauset. The work contract is signed by the amtmann (= county governor) Even Hammer and is dated Molde 26 February 1786. The document states among other things that the lensmann is to behave as 'honestly, diligently and law abiding as it is possible for a lensmann to be' - and one can hardly say that the Teigan-lensmann strayed much from this basic rule. He may seem to have been more than above average interested in being law abiding - at least when it came to looking after his own rights and benefits. The old records tell us about numerous conflicts between Råg and his neighbours - and between him and his brothers, too. In 1797 he filed a complaint against his own father when the father transferred the farm Mauset and the mountain pasture in Vindøldalen to his half-brother Jo of Mauset. The complaint was postponed several times as Råg's other brothers failed to show before the tribunal. In the end it is probable that a compromise was reached.

In 1801, the lensmann filed a complaint against the previous owner of Borstua, Via Jonson, for digging a trench on his farm. Via was sentenced to pay the legal fees and 4 ort to the 'poor of the parish'.

7 November 1804, it was the old regiment drummer Ola Olson at Utigard of Sogge who had to answer for 'defamatory scolding whilst ploughing the field'. Ola was sentenced to pay 7 ort and 16 skilling, of which 1 ort went to the lensmann.

3 August 1814 Råg accused all farmers at Honnestad of damming the creek, causing harm to the lensmann's property. The men showed up at the tribunal claiming that the issue in question was immaterial and was caused by a water bridge sometimes falling over and blocking the creek. The parties came to an agreement without any monetary penalty - but the farmers at Honnestad were ordered to make the necessary repairs in addition to widen the creek so as to avoid future damages.

Lensmann Råg himself was also at the receiving end of various complaints. In the year 1800, the lumberjack Sjur Jensson at Honnstadøya filed a complaint against him - to obtain an outstanding fee of 24 riksdaler for building the new main residential house at Teigan. This tells us that the new buildings at Teigan were built at the very end of the 1700s - and they are most probably the houses still remaining on the farm today.

The biggest dispute Råg had, though, was with the priest Finchenhagen. This story is mentioned in the book 'Bondestrid' (= farmers' quarrel) by Halvdan Koht - but as this story belongs to the community history rather than the farm history it will not be repeated here.

To Råg's defence, it can be said that the lensmann at Teigan was not one for squeezing the last penny out of people: he was no big money collector during his time in office. It is in fact said that he helped many people obtaining their rights. When Hans Nielsen Hauge (see below under external links) travelled through the area, it is said that the lensmann hid him in the cellar at Teigan and helped him to escape.

Råg Larson married Ingeborg Larsdotter Løset from Rindalen in 1787. Church records say that the banns for him and Maret Pedersdotter Solheim were read that same year, but it is unclear how this could be the case. Ingeborg Larsdotter was born in 1763 at Nestua of Harang. Her parents swapped farms and moved to Oppistua of Løset in Rindalen. This is why she used the name Løset.

Råg Larson and Ingeborg Larsdotter had these children:

  1. Maren b. 1788. She was blind and got kår (= normally a support received when elderly after giving ones estate to another, in this case an agreement that the farm would take care of her until the day she died) at the farm and died unmarried in 1861.
  2. Ingeborg b. 1790, d. 1791.
  3. Lars b. 1791, married 1822 to Brit Pedersdotter Telstad, Negard.
  4. Lars b. 1794, d. 1797.
  5. Ola b. 1797, married 1826 to Maret Olsdotter Tellesbø, Heimigard. Ola became farmer at Austigard of Ranes.
  6. Lars b. 1799, married 1829 to Brit Håkensdotter Krangneskleiva. Lars became farmer at Låna of Ranes and has many descendants.
  7. Ingebrigt b. 1802, married 1834 to Magnhild Toresdotter Sogge from Ytre Einmoen. Ingebrigt built a stamping mill by the creek Kaldåa and worked as a dyer. He died early and his widow remarried to a cotter's holding at Svorka.

The sons of Råg Larsson are said to have been quite the mischief makers when in their youth. Together with the blacksmith Mathias Østmann's sons they did many pranks still talked about. Ingebrigt is said to have been a fighter but he later became a Haugean - and the two Lars' both ended up as proper and decent men. It is said that the descendants of Råg Teigan are particularly capable and smart people.

With him from his paternal farm Honnstad, Råg got the arable land of Honnstadvollen and Bjønnøya - in addition to Breiskaret in Vindøldalen. All this he sold to his blind daughter, Maren, in 1803. In addition, she got the use of a piece of land at Einmoen and some pasture at Sonihaugen for life - plus room and pasture for four cows and 12 sheep. His son Lars got a part of Breiskaret when he bacame farmer at Låna of Ranes. In partnership, Råg Larsson and Nils Endreson Åsen leased a seter (= summer pasture) from the farmers at Østbø and had their cattle in Søyådalen. There was a dispute concerning this summer pasture in 1803 as Råg had allowed his brother Ola Larsson Polden to make use of the land.

In 1806, Råg Larson sold the Teigan farm to district surgeon Johan Isaksen for 1 400 riksdaler. The buyer was to take over the farm 14 April 1807 - and to pay 10 riksdaler at the time of the first haustting (= autumn assembly) - 500 riksdaler at the time of the sommerting (= summer assembly) in 1807. The rest of the sales price should remain locked within the farm. In addition, the buyer should honour kår (see above) to Maren Rågsdotter - but there is no mention of any housing to be offered to the previous owner.

In 1790, Råg purchased one of the farms at Møkkelgard in Rindalen, but there are no records of him living there.

However, that the surgeon lived at Teigan is clear from legal records dated 4 March 1807. At that time Mr Isaksen (in the deed on the farm named as Jonsen) filed a complaint against Ingebrigt Jonson Mobekken, Nils Ingebrigtson Vassendsaga and Ola Iverson Sylte for 'uninvited entering the plaintiff's house at Sogge - and in the presence of good witnesses - breaking the peace with coarse words and threats - insulting him as a royal official'.

The district surgeon probably didn't have the farm for long - because Råg - as previously mentioned - was back in 1814 when he had the water dispute with the Honnstad farmers. If he won or lost money on the bargain with surgeon Isaksen is not known.

In 1823, Råg Larson bought Ellevsetvollan together with bell-ringer Lars Hansson Øye - but they didn't keep the property for long before selling it on.

Råg Larson resigned from the job as lensmann 13 January 1824. He had then been lensmann for 38 years: the longest serving lensmann in Surnadal. Råg was the last of the old bondelensmenn (= farmer sheriff). After him, office clerk A.J. Wichberg was hired as lensmann - and with the job came the duty of providing his predecessor with an annual pension of 24 speciedaler.

Råg Larson died 20 November 1827. As a claim on his estate, the priest Finckenhagen asked for an outstanding debt to the priesthood (specified in detail in the bygdebok) to be paid. The claim was later somewhat reduced.

What was left of the estate to be distributed among the family was: 3 speciedaler and 66 skilling to his widow - 93 skilling to each of his sons - and 47 skilling to his daughter Maren.

26 October 1824, Lars Rågson got the deed on the farm for 150 speciedaler. In 1820, he leased an old seter (= summer pasture) called Eiterstølen in Vindøldalen. Later, the farm built a seter at Breiskaret which served as the farm's summer pastures until the 1900s.

Lars Rågson and Brit Pedersdotter were cousins. They had two children:

  1. Ingeborg b. 1822, died unmarried in 1853.
  2. Råg b. 1824, married 1855 to Anne Pedersdotter Tellesbø, Oppigard.

Brit Pedersdotter died in 1826 and Lars remarried Gunnhild Pedersdotter Holten from Holten of Eidet the following year. They had eight children:

  1. Peder b. 1827, d. 1829.
  2. Brit b. 1829, married 1858 to Ingebrigt Larsson Mogstad at Mogstadbakken.
  3. Peder b. 1832, married 1867 to Maret Kristiansdotter Røv, Sagatrøa. He bought Austre Holten of Eidet.
  4. Maret b. 1834, married 1866 to Greus Olson Holten, Øvre.
  5. Lars b. 1836, emigrated to America, married three times.
  6. Nils b. 1838, emigrated to America.
  7. Ola b. 1844, emigrated to America.
  8. Ingebrigt b. 1848, emigrated to America.

Read more about the emigrants here : 'Emigration from Nordmøre - the dramatic crossing'

Read more about the emigrants here: 'Emigration from Nordmøre - Minnesota, Jackson'

Read more about Nils Larsson Sogge here

1 March 1856, Råg Larsson got the deed on the farm for 500 speciedaler. He and Anne Pedersdotter had six children:

  1. Lars b. 1857, emigrated to America 1879.
  2. Peder b. 1858, died unmarried at Dønheim in 1923.
  3. Brit b. 1861, married 1886 to Ola Olson Dønheim at Dønheim.
  4. Peder b. 1863. Studied in Germany, contracted tæring (= tuberculosis) - returned home and died unmarried 1907.
  5. Ingrid b. 1867, married 1916 to widower Ola Erikson Skrei at Ranesbakken.
  6. Maret b. 1870, married to Peder Pederson Storholt at Bakken in Rindalen.

Råg Larsson died in 1891 and Anne Pedersdotter in 1911.

16 October 1891, Peder Rågson got the deed on the farm for 3 000 kroner. Pe (= Peder) remained a bachelor and in 1909 he sold the farm to Jo Olson Røv who paid 11 700 kroner and got the deed the same year.

Jo Olson was born in 1868 at Utistua of Røv. When going back far enough in time, one can say that he was of the same family as the one who had been at Teigan before him: the grandmother of lensmann Råg Larsson Sogge also came from Utistua of Røv.

Jo Olson married Eli Olsdotter Gulla from Gullasbakken in 1910. They had five children:

  1. Ola b. 1911, married 1945 to Anna Pedersdotter Røv, Litlbakken.
  2. Olaf b. 1912.
  3. Maret b. 1914, died unmarried 1958.
  4. Lars b. 1918, married 1947 to Marit Olsdotter Moen, Austigard. Lars became farmer at Gullasbakken.
  5. Guttorm b. 1924, lives in Nannestad.

Jo Olson died in 1947 and Eli Olsdotter in 1962.

Ola Jonson got the deed on the farm. He and Anna Pedersdotter had these children:

  1. Jon b. 19 August 1945.
  2. Paul b. 9 May 1947.
  3. Eldrid b. 13 August 1948, married to Oddbjørn Pederson Sandvik b. 1944. Children: Paul Ove b. 8 December 1971, Odd Arne b. 21 October 1975.
  4. Magnar b. 30 September 1949, married to Sissel Helen Rolfsdotter Sjølid b. 25 May 1954. Child: Anne Grete b. 5 February 1978.
  5. Aud Oddny b. 17 October 1953, married to Per Egil Pederson Øyen b. 1947. Children: Einar b. 29 August 1974, Ann Elin b. 16 September 1976.
  6. Turid b. 15 November 1954.
  7. Magne b. 9 July 1962.

Magnar Olson got the deed on the farm in 1978 and took over the running of the farm the same year.

In 1866, the arable part of the farm was 97 mål (= 24 acres). The bygdebook contains some further technical details about the farm.


Read more about the emigrants from Surnadal in ''Emigration from Nordmøre - Stangvik and Surnadal parishes' by Dordi Glærum Skuggevik.

Do you know what happened next for the people from Teigan emigrating to America? Can you tell their story - and share with the descendants on both sides of the vast ocean. Or maybe you have entirely different stories to tell? Why not register as a user and create your own saga-chapters. Don't hesitate to contact us should you have questions, comments or additional information.


Copyright and disclaimer: no copyright infringement is intended – the copyright of the original material belongs to the author and Surnadal kommune. This is a non-professional translation by Lars Dahlmann Anstensen based on the text found on pages 103 - 113 in the book ‘Gards- og ættesoge for Surnadal – bind II’ written in Norwegian by the eminent Surnadal poet and historian Hans Hyldbakk – published in 1947/1980. The translation may contain unintended errors, inaccuracies or omissions. The translator accepts no liability for any such errors, inaccuracies or omissions. To continue, the reader must accept all limitations of liability and the text ‘as is’ - or should refrain from further reading.

Relevant links

Please note! is not responsible for the content of external links

Share this page