Nils Lykkja wrote the history of the Mogset farm and its inhabitants back in 1956. Half a century earlier Fredrik Mogseth had emigrated from Mogset to the United States. This is the tale of his home soil and his people.

This is a non-professional translation based on «Meldal bygdebok – gard og ætt I» by Nils Lykkja, Meldal kommune 1956 (copyright holder). It is not a word for word direct translation but the text is fully based upon the original work of Nils Lykkja. *

The Mogset farm borders the municipality of Orkland (now Orkdal), the Løkken forest, the farm Moen and the Orkla river. The houses are surrounded by flat fields, cultivated pastures and hills covered by a dense, coniferous forest.

Although the farm is located at the valley floor, the sun will always find its way on a clear day. The altitude is 100 metres above sea level and the farm is situated at the lowest point of all farms in Meldal.

There have been as many as 5 cotter’s holdings connected to the farm: Rønningen, Brekka, Kleva, Lykkja and Gaddåsen or Olderøya

The farm never had a mountain summer dairy - or seter - but between 1735 and the 1860s, Mogset owned the property Kulia as added land. In the outfields they had additional hayfields at Gammallykkja.

The farm had its own grain mill.

Here is some data to help you locate the property: municipality number 1636, cadastral unit number 1, property unit number 1 | 1636-1/1 | google maps 63.14249332 9.65397764. For the property Kulia see 1636-197/1.

The land registration of 1723
In connection with the land registration of 1723, it was noted that the land was situated partly away from the sun, was averagely suited for the cultivation of grain and somewhat exposed to frost. At this time, the farm only had a forest large enough to cover its own requirements for fire wood and timber. There were two cotter's holdings, a grain mill and the farm would provide 40 carriage loads of hay.

The great flood of 1789
The river has done great damage to the property on several occasions – for example in 1689 when the farm was made excempt from paying taxes. The river did major damage also in 1728 but the flood in 1789 – named “Offsin” and which happened during harvesting time - was the worst. Most of the arable land was lost and only half an acre remained. The houses had to be taken down and moved to safety. Later, they were rebuilt 2-3 gunshots further south (upstream) - at a location where they still stand today.

When the tax assessors came to the farm on the 21 October 1789 some notes were made: “The court found in short that the leaseholder was ruined – going from being a diligent and quite prosperous man to being poor and without shelter. The river has taken away his newly built buildings - such as barn, stable, storehouse (stabbur), hay barn, grain mill and woodshed – on top of the fact that he had to dismantle all remaining buildings with the help of goodhearted neighbours. Currently, he only has a dwelling for the family and a house for the cattle erected at a desolate and temporary plot.

It wasn’t just all his crop that was washed away by the water but also most of the soil - together with 60 carriage loads of hay that had already been stored for the winter. Without feed the farmer will have no possibility of keeping his livestock sufficiently fed through the winter.

The owner is in a sorry condition and his farm is destroyed and can never be restored. He has located a spot where he intends to rebuild his buildings - but as both the arable land and the pastures are gone he will - at great expense - have to break new land in the outfields which are filled with stones and trees. In the meantime, he will not have sufficient land to produce the feed required by the creatures that he would need to keep to help him break such new land.

Nothing can be thought or said regarding this man’s regrettable destiny – along with his wife and children – other than wishing him the patience that he needs to carry the burden and sorrow that has been bestowed upon him.

Previously, the farm had land for 15 barrels of seed grain and would provide for 2 horses, 20 cows and 20 sheep or young animals. The now remaining land can only take half a barrel of seed grain, there is not enough feed for a horse but the land can provide for 3 to 4 cows and 6 sheep or young animals.”

The land registration of 1864
In 1864 - 75 years after the disasterous flood - the arable land was 83 dekar (83 000 square metre) and the land provided 30 loads of hay.

The land registration of 1930
In 1930, the registered arable land was 200 dekar (200 000 square metre) and 75 dekar of pastures. 

No proper road connection until 1912
Historically, the farm did not have a proper road connection - only simple paths going north or south. In 1912 a bridge was built across the river. This bridge was destroyed by a flood in 1918 but was rebuilt in the same year. The bridge was also destroyed by flooding in 1940.

Historic information about large landowners owning Mogset
According to the land registry of Olav Engelbrektson, Mogset was in 1533 part of the estate of the Nidaros diocese. Later it belonged to lawspeaker Schøller - and lastly to Mr. Tomas Hamond who sold the property to the leaseholder on the 30 May 1732.

Recommended readThe traditional Norwegian farm - its land and surroundings.

List of leaseholders and later owners


  • A1 1520: Guttorm.
  • B1 1560: Haldo (no family connection to the above confirmed).
  • C1 1607-1630: Ingebrigt (no family connection to the above confirmed).
  • C2 1630-1652: Ole Ingebrigtson.
  • D1a 1653-1688: Bent Erikson Mogset.
  • D1b 1688-1694: Bent's widow Berit and their young children. 
  • D1c 1694-1719: Berit remarried Ellend Bergsvendson.


  • D2 1719-1750: Bård Bentson, was initially a leaseholder but purchased the farm in 1732.
  • D3 1750-1784: Ole Bårdson.
  • D4a 1784-1804: Andreas Olson. Andreas was the man who experienced the tragic losses in connection with the 1789 flooding.
  • D4b 1804-1819: Andreas' widow Anne remarried Erik Erikson Solem, born 1767.
  • D5 1819-1850: Ole Andreasson.
  • D6a 1850-1862: Andreas Olson. Andreas sold the farm to forest trader Gunnerius Rustad and purchased Oppigard Syrstad.
  • E1 1862-1873: Gunnerius Rustad.
  • D6b 1873-1894: Trond Olson (brother of Andreas Olson and father of Fredrik Mogset who emigrated to America).
  • D7 1894-1910: Ole Trondson. Ole sold the farm to the municipality of Meldal and purchased a neighbouring farm Langset (1636-182/1) (where the family still lives as of 2016).
  • F1 1910-: The municipality of Meldal.

Records of animals kept on the farm

  • 1657: 3 horses, 17 cattle, 4 sheep, 2 pigs, 8 goats.
  • 1723: 2 horses, 10 cattle, 8 sheep, 6 goats.
  • 1802: 1 horse, 12 cattle, 16 sheep.
  • 1835: 2 horses, 10 cattle, 30 sheep, 3 goats (foles and calves not included).
  • 1875: 1 horse, 10 cattle, 16 sheep, 2 goats.
  • 1950: 2 horses, 28 cattle, 15 sheep, 4 goats.

Family details

D1a 1653-1688: Bent Erikson Mogset
Bent Erikson Mogset born 1622 - married Berit born 1649 - and they had these children:
1. Ragnhild b. 1680, married Fredrik I. Brekken in 1718.
2. Bård b. 1686, later leaseholder on the farm.
3. Erik b. 1688.
Ben(t) died in 1688 and in 1694 his widow remarried Ellend Bergsvendson, born in 1659. They had no children but kept the lease until 1719 when the oldest son from the first marriage took over. 

D2 1719-1750: Bård Bentson
Bård Bentson married Gunborg Olsdatter Grutsæter and had these children:
1. Kari b. 1717, married Ole Ellingson Jordhusbakk in 1754.
2. Anne b. 1720, married to Peder Larsson Bergem.
3. Ole b. 1724, later owner of the farm.
Bård and Gunborg were initially leaseholders at Mogset but purchased the farm from Tomas Hamond on the 30 May 1732. The purchase price was 280 riksdaler. Bård had to borrow 100 riksdaler with the farm used as collateral. Bård must have died prior to Gunborg - who died in 1750 - as the farm was signed over to their son, Ole, after her death.

D3 1750-1784: Ole Bårdson
In 1751, Ole Bårdson married Anne Pedersdatter Stabell, born 1726. They had these children:
1. Andreas b. 1752, later owner of the farm.
2. Peder b. 1754, married to Svinsøya.
3. Gunborg b. 1756, married Ole J. Halset in 1778.
4. Johanna b. 1760.
5. Bård b. 1762.
6. Bård b. 1766.
During this period there was wealth on the farm. When Ole died in 1786, there was silver, brass, tin, 2 horses and 7 grown cattle. The net worth of Ole's estate was 527 riksdaler.

D4a 1784-1819: Andreas Olson
Andreas Olson took over the farm - including the property Kulia - for 599 riksdaler on the 15 August 1784. In 1785 he married Anne A. Ry, born 1753. They had these children:
1. Anne b. 1786.
2. Anne b. 1787, married Ole J. Haukås in 1816.
3. Ole b. 1793, later owner of the farm.
It was Andreas and Anne who had to live through the extraordinary ordeal of the 1789 flooding. But despite the hardship, when Andreas died in 1803 the net worth of his estate was 700 riksdaler.

D4b 1804-1819: Andreas' widow Anne remarried Erik Erikson Solem
Andreas's widow, Anne, remarried in 1804: Erik Erikson Solem, born 1767. In Nils Lykkja's text there is no mention of Anne and Erik having any children - however - he has added the two following stories from this period. Story 1: "A foster son at Mogset, Ole Andersen Ressel, did in 1812 steal a sum of money, silver and clothing and ran away from Mogset. When magistrate Rambech was at Eidsvoll in 1814 he stayed at a farm called Piro. There he spotted a silver cup that was stolen from Mogset. He brought the cup back with him to its rightful owners." - Story 2: "Anne's second husband, Erik, came to blows with the cotter Ole Olson Fagerlimo who had removed a fence between his cotter's holding and the cotter's holding Mogsetlykkja - which belonged to the Mogset farm. In addition, Ole had been felling trees on land belonging to Mogset. The two disagreed on where the boundaries between the properties were located. Witnesses were called and in the end Ole was sentenced to rebuild the fence and cover Erik's legal expenses".

D5 1819-1850: Ole Andreasson
Ole Andreasson married Valborg Tronsdatter Rønningen, born 1795. They purchased the farm in 1819 for 400 speciedaler and kår (a pension in form of subsistence paid by the new owner of a farm to the old owner). They had these children:
1. Andreas b. 1820, later owner of the farm.
2. Tron(d) b. 1824, purchased the farm later, father of Fredrik who emigrated to America.
3. Anne b. 1825, married to Tellev Groeggen.

D6a 1850-1862: Andreas Olson
In 1854, Andreas Olson married Jonetta Larsdatter Holstad, born 1831. They purchased the farm 14 January 1850 for 270 riksdaler and kår. They had a daughter:
1. Valborg b. 1862, married to Erik Erikson Nystuggu Lo.
Andreas later purchased the farm Oppigard Syrstad for 3 300 speciedaler and sold Mogset to forest trader Gunnerius Rustad for 1 800 speciedaler in 1862.

E1 1862-1873: Gunnerius Rustad
Gunnerius Rustad borrowed the money for the purchase, 800 speciedaler from the seller and the rest from Stefansen in Trondheim, using the farm as collateral. It looks as though Rustad did not manage to meet his financial obligations and the farm was later repossessed by the creditors. They sold the content of the forest to Thams & Co which immediately took out large amounts of timber. Later the property was sold at auction to Tron(d) Olson Mogset (brother of the previous owner, Andreas) for 800 speciedaler.

D6b 1873-1894: Trond Olson
In 1862, Tron(d) Olson married Karen Frantsdatter Sugustad, born 1845. They had these children:
1. Valborg b. 1862, married to Lars Aune at Tokstadjåren.
2. Ole b. 1868, later owner of the farm.
3. Gurina b. 1870, married to Martin A. Mjøen, Fagerlidal.
4. Fredrikke b. 1872.
5. Andreas b. 1877 †
6. Fredrik b. 1879, emigrated to America.
7. Karen b. 1882, married to Tron Berbu in 1905.
8. Bendt b. 1885 †

D7 1894-1910: Ole Trondson
Ole Tron(d)son married Gunhild Aune, born 1876 in Orkdal. They purchased the farm in 1894 for 4 000 kroner and kår. They had the farm for 16 years. The lack of proper access to the property - which had to happen either across the river or along mere paths heading north or south - made it very difficult to live here. Ole and Gunhild did not see any possibility for mounting the resources needed to build a bridge across the river. When a neighbouring farm, Langset (1636-182/1), came up for sale they sold Mogset to the municipality of Meldal and moved to Langset - where the Mogset family resides to this day (as of 2016).

F1 1910-: The municipality of Meldal
The municipality of Meldal purchased the farm in 1910 and used the property to house a facility for the elderly - in addition to running a farm here. New houses were built, a road created and a bridge erected. The land was additionally cultivated and a saw mill was built to cut logs from the rich Mogset forest into lumber.

Martinius Wiggen, born 5 March 1886 in Børsa, was appointed farm manager. Martinius was married to Marit Groeggen, born 18. desember 1896. They had a son, Johan, born 30. juli 1929. Martinius was a member of the local municipality council between 1945 and 1946.

Later, Karl Inge Jensen, born 12 February 1950 in Hamarøy and his wife Marion Dahle, born 1 June 1951 in Namsos, were managing the property.

Cotter's holdings
Nils Lykkja goes on to listing the families connected to the Mogset cotter's holdings: MogsetlykkjaMogsetkleivaMogsetbrekkaMogsetrønningen, Gaddåsen I and Gaddåsen II. Except for Gaddåsen II - where there is mention of inhabitants emigrating to America - this information has not been included here.

The cotter's holding Gaddåsen II
This holding was situated close to Fagerlia. It was Ole Olson Svinsås, born 1833, and his wife Johanna Andreasdatter Gaddåsen, born 1837, who first settled here - probably in the 1860s. They had these children:
1. Andreas b. 1861.
2. Ole b. 1863, married to Ingeborg Sivertdatter Løftamo.
3. Ole b. 1865.
4. Ole b. 1868
5. Erik b. 1872.
6. Bent b. 1876.
The children's father was somewhat of a drinker. He was also drunk when his firstborn son, Andreas, was baptised. It was his wife, Johanna, who decided the name. When he later heard this he did not like it and said: "It should have been Ola. But I will make sure that there will be more than enough Olas." He kept his promise and along came three Olas in a row: Big-Ola, Biglittle-Ola and Little-Ola - in addition to Ola himself. All the children of this family left the community - some went to America, one to Svorkmo etc..
Later Sivert Olson Sørli, born 1859 in Hølonda, and his wife Marit Olsdatter Mosbakk, born 1860, settled here with their family.

* Source: “Meldal bygdebok – gard og ætt I» by Nils Lykkja 1956. The data is used by kind permission of the copyright holder, Meldal kommune. Some additional data is taken from «Slekt og soge 1940 – 1990» - edited by Johan Syrstad 1993.

This is a non-professional translation by Lars Dahlmann Anstensen.

Relevant links

Please note! is not responsible for the content of external links

Share this page